Saturday, March 16, 2013

Love for the momma

With Mother's Day approaching and my Mom's birthday later this month I knew I wanted to experiment with something new.  I usually venture to make her a card each year but this year wanted to make something for her that she could have as a keepsake.  My new passion is working with canvases so I wanted to use one in my project and here it is.



This is a 5 x 7 panel canvas, using the Graphic 45 Secret Garden 6 x 6 paper pack. I love the dimension of this piece and how it all just seems to flow together.  I know my Mom will appreciate it very much, she is definitely my biggest fan :)

 


My starting point was drawing a template for the flower petals.  The size of the petals is approximately 1 5/8 height by 1 inch width at the largest point.  I took the template and transferred the outline onto the paper in the paper pack.  I cut 5 leaves out of each design.  I didn't quite use all the designs but the majority of them.


I also used a couple of different papers just to get some more dimension into the petals.  I used papers from the following paper lines:

Lost and Found 
Background and and some petals (this paper has wonderful texture)
 Farm Girl - Denim
Dark denim blue petals

The next step was to apply Tim Holtz distress inks to the edges of each petal.  I used frayed burlap.  I then molded each petals by taking a pen barrel and pulling it along the paper.  The same way you would curl ribbon.


Next I applied the Lost and Found paper by My Minds Eye to the front of the canvas.  I distressed the edges of the paper and inked it up with Frayed Burlap before applying it to the canvas with Modge Podge.  I let that dry for about an hour. 


Next I applied a small circle (about 2 inches) of sticky back cork to the center of the canvas.  

Starting from the outside and working in I applied each petal to the canvas.  The outside row of petals were about 1 inch apart and on the next row I reduced this by about 1/4 inch and continued reducing the distance working my way to the center.  To help the petals stick to the canvas I bent the bottom of the petal so it lay flat against the canvasI used Tombow mono to apply the flowers.  Once I had created my flower I let it sit for about an hour to let the petals get a good grip.

Next I applied a piece of peach dyed twine around the outside of the edge of the cork to finish it off.

Lastly I glued a Prima Trinket Bottle cap to the center of the flower and finished it off with a image button I purchased on Etsy.

In order to have an area for writing I cut two pieces of paper from the Graphic 45 paper pack and glued them to the back of the canvas.   


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful work. I've looked at several entries in this challenge and I like yours the best. I also really enjoy this flower tutorial. Well written. Thank you for the inspiration.

    I am going to make a flower today!

    Debra of Alpharetta, GA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Debra :) I really appreciate your kind words. Tutorials are fairly new for me so I'll get better as I go. Hope you had fun making your flower!

      Delete