Monday, April 7, 2014

Spring is in the air

It's so wonderful to see that sunshine showing it's fabulous face after a long, long winter.   I love the snow but sometimes a gal just needs bright sunshiney days to lift the spirit.  While I may not blog a lot I am always creating something.  My creative thoughts never leave my side which I am so thankful for.

This past weekend I decided I needed to spring up my art journal a bit.  I found some lovely paper at Michael's by Recollections that had cherry blossoms on it.  I am a huge fan of cherry blossom trees and I so wish we had more of them in my city.  My journal started out with some left over ink on two of my pages and I wasn't quite sure where I was going to go with it but this is what I did:

I added layers and layers of ink, sprays and paints.  I used Black chalkboard paint, Distress Paints in: Peeled paint, Mustard Seed, Tarnished Brass and Broken China. I also used Dylusion sprays in: White Linen and Vibrant Turquoise.  Lastly but not leastly I used Distress Stains in: Brushed Pewter and Crushed Olive.  I literally kept adding layers of these until I got to the result I wanted.  I used my fingers to smear the color all over the pages.  Lastly I used Kroma Crackle to give my pages a bit of texture.

The final little bit of background was added using the Memory Box stencil: Diamond and Faber Castell Gelato in Bubble Gum.

Now to the flowers.  The paper I used for the majority of the flowers is from Recollections and is called Watercolor Cherry Blossom.  This is available at Michael's.  I "fussy" cut these flowers/branches from the paper and glued down to the page with Tombow mono glue.  I wanted a bit more dimension in the flowers so I freehand drew some cherry blossoms onto watercolor paper and added the color using Gelato's and Faber-Castell Big Brush pen in Nougat (178).  I used the pen to do the outlining on the flowers and accents in the middle as well as on the branches.  See the second picture for a more detailed view of my hand drawn flowers.

A few rub-ons were added in the corner and also a rub-on butterfly was added along with a bit of doodling.  Love to doodle!

My post is getting pretty long so I will leave it at this for now.  Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions on the products used or my techniques.

Happy Spring everyone.



Lastly I took my glossy accents and added some dimension to the center of the flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment